The administrative center is the city of Stolin. Stolin District has the largest area among the districts of the Republic of Belarus — 3342 km2. The length of the Stolin region from west to east is 100 km, from north to south - more than 70 km.
The population of the district is 73,101 people (as of January 1, 2018). There are 99 settlements in the district, including the cities of Stolin (13,460 people) and David-Gorodok (5,851 people), as well as the working village of Rechitsa (6,074 people)
History of Stolin Region
- On January 15, 1940, the Stolin district was formed from the Stolin poviet, at that time it was part of the Pinsk region.
- On October 12, 1940, the district was divided into 17 village councils: Osovsky, Beloushsky, Berezhnovsky, Bereztsovsky, Voronyovsky, Gorodnyansky, Glinkovsky, Duboysky, Dubenetsky, Mankovichsky, Plotnitsky, Radchitsky, Rukhchansky, Rechitsky, Stakhovsky, Struzhsky, Fedorsky.
- On January 8, 1954, the Stolin District, after the abolition of the Pinsk Region, became part of the Brest Region.
- On July 16, 1954, the Voronevsky, Dubenetsky, Mankovichsky, Stakhovsky village councils were abolished. The villages of Grivkovichi and Tyrvovichi were transferred to the Stolin district from the Pinsk district.
- On October 9, 1954, the villages of Grivkovichi and Tyrvovichi were returned to the Pinsk district.
- On March 31, 1959, the Osovsky and Duboysky village councils were abolished, and the Vidiborsky village council was created.
- On July 6, 1960, the village of Rechitsa acquired the status of a working village, the Rechitsa village council was abolished.
- On January 19, 1961, the abolished David-Gorodoksky district was added to the district, including the cities of David-Gorodok and Ozdamichsky, Olshansky, Velemichsky, Lyadetsky, Merlinsky, Rubelsky, Khoromsky, Khrapunsky village councils.
- On October 2, 1962, the Merlinsky and Khrapunsky village councils were abolished.
- On May 4, 1981, the Remelsky village council was created, the Ozdamichsky village council was renamed Velikomaleshevsky.
- On November 16, 1987, the Bereztsovsky village council was transferred to the Pinsk District.
- On March 2, 1998, the Mankovichy village council was established.