Looking for grandpas relatives

William L. Yudchitz

Looking for grandpas relatives

Post by William L. Yudchitz » 15 Jun 2003, 01:48

I was wondering if anybody knew of Joseph Yudchitz's relatives. He came to Chicago USA from the Brest area in about 1910. Can you help? Bill

Hania

Yudchitz = Judscitz/Jutczitz

Post by Hania » 15 Jun 2003, 11:51

he key to any of these searches is ascertaining EXACT PLACE OF ORIGIN. Immigrants frequently referred to their regional/uyezd center town as place of origin for geographical reference, because their own villages were small.

As per Ellis Island Records, there were several Judczitz/Jutczitz*** (Adam, Luka JUDCZITZ & Iwan JUTCZITZ- that look to be cousins) that immigrated from village Pesehky/Peschni/Peshki>Grodno and were headed for Jefferson St. in Chicago. BREST WAS A UYEZD OF THE GRODNO GUBERNIYA. Another village name that comes up in Ellis Island Records is Weschna>Grodno. My guess would be that village Peshki (or some variant of) would be fairly close to Wechna/Vishnya??? I would think that you should look for these two villages in the same district @turn of century.

American Family Immigration History Center
http://ellisisland.org/search/passSearc ... 0052753504&

***When transliterating (sounds like) from Cyrillic to Latin Alphabet, JU = YOU sound.

William L. Yudchitz

Re: Looking for grandpas relatives

Post by William L. Yudchitz » 16 Jun 2003, 06:21

Hania thanks for the quick response. I was interested in finding out how you knew about. Peshky and the Yudchits's that went to chicago. The chicago location was only eight blocks from throop street where my granfather lived.Where are you located and how do you know so much about the region?

How can I get a map of the area about 1900 to 1910 when my grandfather came to Chicago. How does that compare to the area today after world war II ect.Whaat did they do for birth records. Was this name Jewish or Gentile?

Hania

Post by Hania » 16 Jun 2003, 10:43

All the details I presented to you were garnered from the ORIGINAL SHIP MANIFEST/handwritten copy @Ellis Island. Run the surnames as I spelled them thru Ellis Island link, w/o specifying gender. Click on the individual name and then click on to ORIGINAL SHIP MANIFEST. Notice the magnifying icon that appears top right. Click icon. This will create a close-up of the handwritten manifest. Make sure to check all pages of the manifest!!! In most cases there are several pages of details. There you will even find out how much money that person had w/them as they arrived. Of the other two same surname immigrants, one was heading for PA and the other to West Virginia, for the coal mines.

I am not an expert on Belarusyn surnames, but based on the given names, my guess is that these guys were Christians, most likely Christian Orthodox or maybe even Greek Catholic. Additionally Ellis Island Records do not indicate that they were Hebrew.

Slavic surnames were transliterated (sounds like) from one language, using Cyrillic Alphabet into another, using Latin Alphabet. The only correct spelling and pronunciation of the surname is in its original language, using its original alphabet.

Also note that these guys were married. Chances are that after working for yr or two, they might have returned home. What most people don't realize about the Great Immigration (1900-1914) is that about third of the immigrants returned to their homelands.

Studying and understanding period history is critical to genealogy.

Make sure to read Sergei's excellent synopsis of Belarusyn history on this link.
_______________________________________________________________________________________
There are many maps of 1910 Chicago.
I like Google as search engine.
Submit 1910 CHICAGO MAP. You will find everything from ward to train maps.
Google
http://www.google.com/aol/

For your purposes you might find this link helpful. It includes info for researching 1930 Census as well.
POINTers In Person Chicago-North CHICAGO STREETS
http://www.rootsweb.com/~itappcnc/pipcnstreet.htm
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

There is a very inexpensive book re turn of the century Chicago.
Chicago @turn of the century in photographs by Larry Viskochil.

Index in book indicates that the HOLY TRINITY RUSSIAN ORTHODOX CATHEDRAL existed in Chicago in this time frame. Bare in mind that Belarusyns were pious people and would have wanted a church nearby. If the cathedral still exists, contact them and ask if they have archived any of their church records. It may be possible that the cathedral historian might be able to provide you w/ another name of any Belarusyn churches in this time frame.

Christ the Redeemer Church in Chicago is another place you might want to check out for archives.

Bare in mind that Christian Orthodox Baptismal records for children would have contained parents' exact place of origin and maternal surname.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Additional link:
Genealogy
http://www.addison.lib.il.us/3gen.asp#Illinois

PS> I'm Ukrainian, a friend of Sergei's, and live in New York City.

William L. Yudchitz

Post by William L. Yudchitz » 17 Jun 2003, 07:33

Thanks agian for your patients with me you are very kind. I don't know to much about my grandfather due to the McCarthyism in the us at the time i was growing up . My grandmother didn't do much to tell us about my grandfather beacuse he was thought to be russian and communist and then people wouldn't like him. So she kept everything quite. But I do know he didn't like to go to church as much as my grandmother. She was a Zizka from Brataslava Does that make a good match?Also she sailed from London on July 4 1910 and I know the ship but I don't see her anywhere at ellis Island what am I doing wrong?

Hania

Post by Hania » 17 Jun 2003, 08:50

Are you sure Grandmother (originally from Bratislava) actually came thru Ellis Island. If so, read instruction below carefully.

Brataslava would have been a part of Austro-Hungarian Empire and records would show her as Hungarian (Madgyar) citizen? Her ethnicity might be another story. The surname strikes me as Slovak.'

Try this immigration link and perform a SOUNDS LIKE Search. Play with the possibilies. DO NOT use given name.
Here you can include the ship etc. ZIZKA could have easily been transliterated as Ziska, however use ZIZKA in your search.
Searching Ellis Island Database in One Step
http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellis.html

William L. Yudchitz

Post by William L. Yudchitz » 18 Jun 2003, 02:43

Th inspection card I have from my grandma is for the second cabin on the s.s.cairnrona sailing from London july 4 1910. Where do you think she sailed to when there isn't anything at ellis island and they have a different spelling for the ship at carona.
Bill
thanks again you are very helpful. I really want to know more about the place my grandparents came from and would like to find direct decendents if they are availible how would you go about that.Maybe even try to contact them.

Hania

ONE STEP AT A TIME

Post by Hania » 18 Jun 2003, 12:57

CAIRNRONA / CONSUELO / ALBANIA / POLERIC 1900
The CAIRNRONA was built by Swan & Hunter, Wallsend-on-Tyne in 1900 as the CONSUELO for the Wilson Line of Hull. She was a 6,025 gross ton ship, length 461.5ft x beam 52.1ft, one funnel, four masts, twin screw and a speed of 12 knots. She had accommodation for 13-1st class passengers. Launched on 3/2/1900, she sailed on her maiden voyage from Hull to New York on 5/8/1900. She made her last voyage for Wilson's when she left Hull on 1/3/1908 for Boston and New York. In 1909 she was sold to the Thomson Line, renamed CAIRNRONA and refitted to carry 50-1st and 800-3rd class passengers and with a tonnage of 7,640 tons. She made her first voyage from London to St John NB in Jan 1910 (arr 25/1/1910) and a further voyage (arr 11/3/1910). In April 1910 she suffered fire in her coal bunkers while off Beachy Head in the English Channel and over 700 passengers were transferred temporarily to the Furness Withy cargo steamer KANAWHA. The fire was extinguished and she returned to London and sailed again on 16th April for Quebec and Montreal. She commenced her last voyage on 8/4/1911 when she left St John NB for London. In 1911 she was sold to Cunard and renamed ALBANIA. She commenced the first Cunard voyage to the St Lawrence when she left London on 2/5/1911 for Southampton, Quebec and Montreal. Her last voyage on this service commenced 17/10/1911 and in 1912 she was sold to the Bank Line (Andrew Weir & Co) and renamed POLERIC. She was scrapped in 1930. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3, p.966, vol.4, p.1420]

Looks like Grandmother may have come thru Canada???

What you need now is to get the passenger lists for the SS Cairnrona.
LDS/Mormon Genealogy Library has those!!!! Those are not available online. Grandmother came thru St. John's New Brunswick, Quebec or Montreal??? It was appx a two week trip. The staff @the Mormon Family Centers are very helpful. To locate the most convenient location for yourself, see link below. All instructions for ordering film r there.
FamilySearch - Family History Centers
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

You need to take your research one step at a time. There are no shortcuts. Grandmother's place of arrival will be a fairly simple matter to locate (w/the help @LDS). Once you get a hold of the passenger list and manifest, you should be able to get a handle on Grandmother's origin. If she was married prior to immigration, your problem for Grandfather's origin is also solved. THEN you will need to document her border crossing into USA. This will further document her origin. The most popular border crossing was St. Alban's VT. however there might have been one closer to Chicago???

Ship Lists & Links Resource Page
http://www.theshipslist.com/Research/Resource.htm

AND I WAS ABLE TO OBTAIN THIS INFO BY USING GOOGLE AS MY SEARCH ENGINE.

Google
http://www.google.com/