Ivan Lochaiuk

Leslie Whitehead

Ivan Lochaiuk

Post by Leslie Whitehead » 03 Nov 2001, 03:58

Looking for info and relatives of my grandfather Ivan Lochaiuk (SP?). He was born in Grodno in 1891. Had a brother Anton, Fedor, and sister Anna and possibly Olga and nephew Volodia. Last correspondence received from relatives in Brilevo Village, Kobrin District, Brest Region, Belarus in 1958.

Sergei Zhukovich
Администратор

Re: Ivan Lochaiuk

Post by Sergei Zhukovich » 06 Dec 2001, 21:57

Your relatives are found! They still live in the village of Brilevo. All brother Fyodor's children are alive. I talked to Fyodor's daughter Olga today. I'll send you her address by e-mail. She is waiting for your letter.

Leslie Whitehead

Post by Leslie Whitehead » 11 May 2002, 23:14

Sergei - Thanks to you I have found my GF family. Have been corresponding with Olga and just received another letter today from another family member. I need help now trying to find out where my GM came from. Her name was Teofila Zmitrowicz and she was born in Grodno. Ellis Island site said she came from Dorgin / Poland Russia. Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated.

zmitrowicz ludovic

Post by zmitrowicz ludovic » 14 Oct 2003, 00:59

hi,

i saw your message and maybe you can help me. have you got a infomation about zmitrowicz family? (i live in paris)

Leslie Whitehead

Thank You Sergei

Post by Leslie Whitehead » 26 Oct 2003, 06:10

Sergei Z.
Many thanks to you for going to Brilevo Village and locating my grandfathers relatives. This past August my husband and I visited Belarus and met with all my relatives. We travelled all around a very beautiful country and met many wonderful people. I hope to visit your country again!
(Grandfather: Ivan Lockaiuk)
Leslie Whitehead (U.S.)

Sergei Zhukovich
Администратор

Re: Thank You Sergei

Post by Sergei Zhukovich » 26 Oct 2003, 11:19

You’re welcome! It was my pleasure to help you! ))

Michael

Post by Michael » 12 Jan 2004, 00:58

zmitrowicz ludovic wrote: 14 Oct 2003, 00:59 i saw your message and maybe you can help me. have you got a infomation about zmitrowicz family? (i live in paris)
Hello. Im also Zmitrowicz. Please ... RESPOND

Leslie Whitehead

Post by Leslie Whitehead » 24 Jan 2005, 00:13

Michael wrote: 12 Jan 2004, 00:58 Hello. Im also Zmitrowicz. Please ... RESPOND
Michael,

I see that you are a Zmitrowicz. Where do you live? I have been trying for a long time to find my grandmother's family in the U.S and in Poland. I do not have much information except I know her family in the U.S. was from the Youngstown, Ohio area. Please respond and tell me about your family.

Leslie

Karen

Post by Karen » 15 Jul 2005, 21:07

Leslie Whitehead wrote: 11 May 2002, 23:14 Sergei - Thanks to you I have found my GF family. Have been corresponding with Olga and just received another letter today from another family member. I need help now trying to find out where my GM came from. Her name was Teofila Zmitrowicz and she was born in Grodno. Ellis Island site said she came from Dorgin / Poland Russia. Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated.
Hello,
I have been searching for Anna Zmitrowicz, my Grandfather's sister, married to Mikolaj Zmitrowicz, who was born in Dorgun, Poland, about 1866. Many of my family members are from Dorgun, Poland. Do you think there is a connection?

Leslie Whitehead

Post by Leslie Whitehead » 16 Jul 2005, 04:32

Hello Karen,
If many of your relatives are from Dorgun then they probably are related. I am having a hard time finding info on my GM Teophila. I do know that she came from Dorgun and had family in Youngstown, Ohio. I believe she had a brother Jan and other relatives (Pawel and Marya and Paulina). Can you tell me more about your family members in Dorgun and where they settled in the US?
Leslie

Karen

Post by Karen » 17 Jul 2005, 19:59

Hi Leslie,

I first came across the name Zmitrowicz when i found my Grandfather, Jan Orlowski, at Ellis Island. I learned he had a Half-sister, Anna Kuczynska who no one ever told me about...she was married to Mikolaj Zmitrowicz. He is the son of Antoni and Anna Janusz Zmitrowicz. Born 1866 in Dorgun. I have found Mikolaj traveling to Passaic ,NJ and then Shenadoah ,PA. I have seen a Zmitrowicz family in the 1900 census. The name is misspelled of course! He must have traveled back and forth for a while before bringing his wife. The first time I find them as a family is in Forest City, PA, my Grnadfather arrived to them in Foreat City, PA in 1901. Also traveling with my Grandfather and his brother is Mikolaj's cousin, Peter. The Zmitrowicz's are in Forest City,PA until the mid 1920's. The family then moves to Detroit, MI. The children of Anna and Mikolaj that I know of are William, Joseph, John and Maria. I found Mikolaj's Visa application in 1926. I also have a copy of his death record, he died in Dorgun in 1938 while on a visit....I have hired Genealogists in the area to try and find records for my Grandfather and his siblings but have had no luck! The village is now in Belarus and I have written a number of letters to the Archive in Grodno but no luck there...
My biggest question is I have been told that all the records were destroyed during the two wars...but one of my Dad's cousins gave me a copy of a birth record that was sent in the 1950's from the Warsaw Archives. But when I wrote to the Warsaw Archives I was told they do not have these records. Very Frustrating...
I do believe I have seen the names you mention on a few Ship's manifests in my search for Mikolaj but I do not know the relationship...but since they are from Dorgun I would think they are somehow related.... let me know if any of this ties into what you know...
Karen

Leslie Whitehead

Post by Leslie Whitehead » 02 Aug 2005, 05:08

Karen,

Thanks for the response and family info. I've had a problem getting on-line and back to this site. I too have seen your relatives as I go through the records. I'm sure my grandmother was related somehow because of the Dorgun connection but I still can't figure it out. I don't have much info to start with except for the definite connection with Zmitrowicz people in Youngstown, Ohio. I have found them in the census, etc. and am trying to work backwards to tie other people in. This is not easy work...that's for sure. I am tracking Jan Zmitrowicz, his wife Maria, and his brother Pawel who arrived here around 1910 and traveled to NJ and eventually Youngstown. Later Pawel's wife Polina and child arrived to join him. I guess I will just keep hunting for pieces of the puzzle. I did manage to find my grandfather's family in Belarus and visited with them for two weeks. I would like to return there hopefully when I find my grandmothers family. You said Dorgun is in Belarus now. I have not been able to find it on a map. Can you tell me where to look? Thanks for everything.

Leslie