SCHENKER BIRTH CERTIFICATES

Larry Schenker

SCHENKER BIRTH CERTIFICATES

Post by Larry Schenker » 07 Oct 2003, 21:11

Any help and suggestions in the below matter will be greatly appreciated.

I would like to locate and obtain a copy of the birth certificates of both my father and my uncle. I know that my father (Jankal) was born on June 8, 1904 and my uncle (Gimann) was born on March 1, 1906. I know that their parents were Josef (born between 1882 – 1884) and Ciwze (no maiden name know, born between 1878 – 1882). Josef and Ciwze were married between 1902 – 1903.

Two major facts are not very clear:
1- Where were my father and my uncle born?
• Brestz Litowsk, Russia where their Ellis Island records indicate. Also the 1920 United States Federal Census records indicate that they were born in Brestz Litowsk, Russia. You can see the actual census records by going to the below web site:
http://community.webshots.com/user/sche ... ilyhistory
• Minsk, Russia a town that has been mentioned as a possible birth site
• Pinsk, Russia another town that has been mentioned as a possible birth site
2- What was there Surname at birth and how was it spelled?
• Surnames with the same Schenker Daitch-Mokotoff soundex are:
Cenzer, Cenzor
Junker
Schanker, Schantzer, Schencker, Schmitzer, Schniker, Schnitzer, Senzer, Shenker, Singer
Yanker
Zanger, Zinger
• Also was their Surname even Schenker. There has been some mention by my father in the last year of his life, but never confirmed, that his father Josef’s name was not Schenker but really Tenenbaum (or some similarly sounding name). As the story goes, Josef was a Russian dissident who had to escape from the Tzar’s police and army during the uprisings and civil disturbances in the early 1900’s - and that before he left Russia in or about 1906 he changed his name from Schenker to Tenenbaum. There are no records here in the United States to indicate that this is anything more than a possible story.

Thanks again. Any help or suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Larry Schenker

Travel from Brestz Litovski to Antwerp then to New York

Post by Larry Schenker » 07 Oct 2003, 21:37

In 1911 my great grandmother (55 years old), grandmother (33 years old), father (8 years old) and uncle (6) years old left Brestz Litovski, Russia for Antwerp, Belgium. In Antwerp they boarded the Lapland (Red Star Line) and traveled to New York City in the United States. They arrived at Ellis Island on December 12, 1911.

If any one can give me some answers to any of the below questions, it would be much appreciated:

1. Assuming that they left Brestz Litovski by train, would they have traveled directly to Antwerp or stopped at some other city along the way to join other passengers who would be sailing on the Lapland?
2. How many days or months would it have taken to get from Brestz Litovski to Antwerp?
3. Would they have purchased their ship’s passage in Brestz Litovski, Antwerp or some other city along the way?
4. How would they have communicated with my grandfather, who was already in New York City, to advise him as to on what ship they would be sailing?
5. What would the train cost have been to travel from Brestz Litovski to Antwerp?
6. What would the Lapland cost be steerage class, from Antwerp to New York City?

Thanks again. Any answers to my questions or any suggestion as to where I might find some answers would be greatly appreciated.

Larry Schenker

Schooling in Brestz Litovski in 1911

Post by Larry Schenker » 07 Oct 2003, 21:45

My father lived, until he was 7 years and 6 months old in Brestz Litovski. He then traveled with some members of his immediate family to the United States.

Might he have attended any school while living in Russia?

Thanks again. Any answers to my questions or any suggestion as to where I might find some answers would be greatly appreciated.

Sharon Klein

Re: Schooling in Brestz Litovski in 1911

Post by Sharon Klein » 08 Oct 2003, 14:59

Larry Schenker wrote: 07 Oct 2003, 21:45 My father lived, until he was 7 years and 6 months old in Brestz Litovski. He then traveled with some members of his immediate family to the United States.

Might he have attended any school while living in Russia?
You don't mention if your ancestors are Jewish but I see Yiddish as the language spoken on your 1920 census page. If you haven't already, you should join the Belarus SIG (special interest group) on JewishGen (www.jewishgen.org). A lot more eyes will see your questions if you post them on the SIG mailing list. The SIG website also has other resources.

My understanding is that all or most of the record for Brest are in the Grodno archives. I've seen mixed feedback regarding the ease (or difficulty) in obtaining copies of records. You can learn a lot from just being on the SIG e-mail list.

Good luck!

Larry Schenker

Re: Schooling in Brestz Litovski in 1911

Post by Larry Schenker » 09 Oct 2003, 06:56

Thanks for the information. I have joined just a few minutes ago and posted my question there.

Donna

Re: SCHENKER BIRTH CERTIFICATES

Post by Donna » 21 Jun 2007, 21:55

Hmmm I am a Schenker, and doing family research. Wondering if that was the name that slipped out of my VERY old cousins mouth (Tenenbaum) and he refused to repeat it. Odd!
But as far as I can tell, my Schenkers came from the old Austrio/Hungary country not Russia.