Family Name KOZLOWICZ

Mary Ann Kozlowicz

Family Name KOZLOWICZ

Post by Mary Ann Kozlowicz » 08 Sep 2003, 22:57

I am looking for family on my father's side. He was born Andrzej Kozlowicz in January 1923 to Anna Karpinczyk (born 1888) and Andrzej Kozlowicz (born 1884). He had 2 brothers - Jan born 1926 and Wasia or Wasyl; and one sister Stephania. I have no details on Stephania but Wasia married a woman named Maria and I know they had twin daughters who at one time lived in Russia. My father's school records from 1938/1939 show that he went to school in Malczu (Malezu) powait pourianski and was from Zaluzu. My father immigrated to Canada in 1951 and his brother Jan immigrated to Canada in 1960. Stephania and Wasia stayed in Europe with my grandmother who I believed died in the early 1960's. I would very much like to reach any remaining family members. Thank you.

Sergei Zhukovich
Администратор

Re: Family Name KOZLOWICZ

Post by Sergei Zhukovich » 07 Oct 2003, 13:16

It seems you are talking about the village of Zaluzhie close to Malech, Bereza district. Zaluzu - Zaluzhie, Malczu - Polish spelling of Malech, powait pourianski - powiat Pruzhanski (it was Pruzhanski district at that time). There are several families with surname Kozlovich in Malech and in Bereza as well.

Mary Ann Kozlowicz

Post by Mary Ann Kozlowicz » 07 Oct 2003, 18:28

Sergei, thank you so much for responding. Is the area that you refer to in Belarus? If not, in Poland or the Ukraine? Do you have any idea how I would go about contacting any of the families to see if they are my relatives? Also, my father was friends with a man named Joseph Usowicz who may have been from his same village or a village close by to his village - Joe also immigrated to Canada in the late 1950's before my father. Do you know if there are any families with the surname Usowicz in the same area?

Sergei Zhukovich
Администратор

Post by Sergei Zhukovich » 07 Oct 2003, 20:59

Yes, it's Beryoza district, Brest region. You can find Malech on the map on our site. I'll contact Kozlovichs to find if they are your relatives. Also, there are families with surname Usovich (Usowicz in Polish) in Malech too. Please, provide with more detailed information about Usowicz family, I'll try to contact them too.

Mary Ann Kozlowicz

Post by Mary Ann Kozlowicz » 07 Oct 2003, 22:26

Sergei, thank you for your time and effort. I have given all available information about my father's immediate family in the first message I posted to this site. As for the Usowicz family, I only knew Uncle Joe as we called him and only that my father knew him in the "old country". He met Joe again after the war quite by accident in Holland. He then met up with him again in Canada and stayed friends with him until he died which I believe was in the 1990's. I'm not sure that Joe ever married but he did have a small fish and chips restaurant in Hamilton, Ontario for many years in the 1960's and 1970's. I know nothing of his family in Poland or Belarus. I'm hoping that if they were from the same village that maybe there are still people there who know about my grandparents and about my uncle and aunt and children born to them. These are the only links I have to my father's past. Thank you again.

Sergei Zhukovich
Администратор

Post by Sergei Zhukovich » 08 Oct 2003, 11:33

It seems your relatives are found. They will contact you by email soon.

Mary Ann Kozlowicz

Post by Mary Ann Kozlowicz » 08 Oct 2003, 16:41

Sergei - I can hardly believe it! I hope it is the right family as I understand our surname was quite common in the area where my father grew up. I don't know how to thank you for what you've done - I even had someone in Minsk looking but have had no success there. Thank you so much. I will post a note to this site if we have found the right family. Who did you manage to find? I'm only aware of twin girls but I thought there must be more.

andrzej kozlowicz

Post by andrzej kozlowicz » 07 Jan 2004, 00:33

Mary Ann Kozlowicz wrote: 08 Oct 2003, 16:41 Sergei - I can hardly believe it! I hope it is the right family as I understand our surname was quite common in the area where my father grew up. I don't know how to thank you for what you've done - I even had someone in Minsk looking but have had no success there. Thank you so much. I will post a note to this site if we have found the right family. Who did you manage to find? I'm only aware of twin girls but I thought there must be more.
maryanne,
please forward any information that you have collected. I am interested in finding out more about the kozlowicz history.
thanks
andrzej kozlowicz

Mary Ann Kozlowicz

Post by Mary Ann Kozlowicz » 26 Apr 2004, 16:58

andrzej kozlowicz wrote: 07 Jan 2004, 00:33 maryanne,
please forward any information that you have collected. I am interested in finding out more about the kozlowicz history.
thanks
andrzej kozlowicz
Sorry Andrzej, I just saw your posting. I'll gather together all the information I have and send it to you. Where are you located?

Irena Guillon

Post by Irena Guillon » 21 Dec 2004, 00:06

Hello Mary Anne - I would love to hear what you have found out about the family of Kozlowicz. My father's family is also from the Pruzany area (Slomiany village). My granfather's name was Mikolaj Kozlowicz - my father: Stefan, uncles: Mikolaj, Michal, aunts: Anna, Maria... Wonder if there is any connection. I live in California, but while traveling on business I would once in a while contact someone with the Name of Kozlowicz. I was once in Toronto and called someone. I wonder if it was you.... Best wishes, Irena Kozlowicz Guillon

usowicz(usowiez)

Kozlowicz, Usowicz

Post by usowicz(usowiez) » 19 Apr 2005, 04:11

my name is usowicz in polonese or bylarussia but usowiez because in france my grand father has prefered assimilation during secon war, he came from
frontiere poland and bylarussia and my name usowiez in french and he was born with the name usowicz before emmigration maybe we are cousin.....
stanislas

Luba Usowicz

Re: Kozlowicz, Usowicz

Post by Luba Usowicz » 20 Mar 2007, 06:17

Hi , my middle name is Usowicz , my siblings are in Poland . We were born in Drohobycz.USSR.( My sister's names are ; Nadzia & Wiera and my self ( we are tripplets )BORN 1951- and youngest Anna ,BORN ;1953 a brother Walerian BORN 1948-- he died 1991. Our parents --Pawel & Zofia. My father had 2 brothers Andrej & Iwan & sister Marusia. They died long time ago , and did not have children , but my mother said , before she died that my father had a son , she did not know his name ,or age. Please,if someone know anything , let me know.
Thank you. Luba

elmira

Post by elmira » 12 Dec 2009, 09:01

Greetings,
I am looking for the descendants of Paul/Pawel/Paul and Jakov/Jakob/Yakov Kozlowicz from Zaludzye, Berezovsk, Belorus. They were elder brothers of Aleksey, who was born in 1907 and lived all his life in Belorus. Paul and Jakov immigrated in Canada before 1941. They exchanged letters with the relatives in Belorus for several years. If anyone is related, please respond.
Thank you.

elmira

Post by elmira » 13 Dec 2009, 08:35

I am also looking for a Mary Ann Kozlowicz who was looking for her relatives in Belorus through the newspaper "Sovetskaya Belorussia" in 2008. The descendants of Aleksey Kozlowicz shared this information with a famous search program "Wait For Me": www.poisk.vid.ru
Thank you.

Carole Byrd Dokuchic

Post by Carole Byrd Dokuchic » 31 Mar 2010, 15:57

Re "Kozlovich" from Zaluzha village. I recently received this from archives search in Belarus,from church records.

"On October 20, 1863 ZENOVIYA was born, daughter of Iosof (son of Trofim Dokuchic), and AGAFIYA (daughter of David KOZLOVICH, peasants of Zaluzha village.

Zenoviya was christened October 27, 1863.
Godparents are Voytekh Davidovich (son of Alexi), and Mariya Yakovich (daughter of Timofei Yakovich)) peasants of Gritsevichi village."
-----------------------------------
MY great-grandfather, IVAN DOKUCHIC b. 1859 , married ZENOVIYA KOZLOVICH,B. October, 20, 1863 on January 24, 1882. They have 7-8 children, 2 of them, Mikhail and Maksim Dokuchic come to Canada in early 1900's.
Zenovia KOZLOVICH, is my great-grandmother.

Hope this information helps someone searching here.

Sergey Liubushak

Post by Sergey Liubushak » 19 Apr 2011, 00:05

Hello Mary Ann. I'm a sun of Elena/Helen Kozlovich.

Grandparents of my mother were Aleksei Kozlovich who had brothers Jakov and Paul. As fas as I know from by grandmother they immigrated in Canada before the second world war. The first time they keep correspondence but latter it was aborted.

I'll ask my mother to remember more details and find photos a lot of the were stored by my grandmother Anna Kozlovich who was wife of Nikolai Kozlovich. and if it interesting please contact me.

Best regards
Sergey.

Greg Kozlowicz

Post by Greg Kozlowicz » 07 Jan 2012, 00:14

I am a 3rd generation Kozlowicz, my grandparents moved to the US from Poland and settled in Penn then moved to Hamtramick, Mich. Anyone know of them?