Osarychi_Graveyard_WWII_Soldiers

R. Tiemann

Osarychi_Graveyard_WWII_Soldiers

Post by R. Tiemann » 01 May 2003, 13:02

Hello,
my request seems to be a bit unusual, some might even consider it as inappropriate: I am trying to trace the grave of my grandfather, who was deployed to Osarychi as part of the German occupational Forces in 1943. He was killed and buried on Christmas eve 1943. From the note my grandmother got we learned he was buried (quote:) 'on the graveyard north of the Church, Osaritschi (Osarychi)'. As my grandmother never quite got over the loss of her beloved husband, who was unwillingly dragged into this dirty war, I considered it as my resposibility to 'make ends meet' and try to find out if there were any traces left of the cementry, and, subsequently visit it sometime in future. Is there anybody out there who could help me e.g. getting in contact with the local (Osarychi) Padre and/ or the Town's municipality etc.? Any help is warmly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.
Greetings,
Rainer Tiemann

Sergei Zhukovich
Администратор

Re: Osarychi_Graveyard_WWII_Soldiers

Post by Sergei Zhukovich » 01 May 2003, 22:11

There are 2 villages with this name in Belarus. One of these villages is situated in Brest region, another one is in Gomel region. I only know that one of German graveyards (350 graves) is located near Ozarichi in Gomel region.

R. Tiemann

Re: Osarychi_Graveyard_WWII_Soldiers

Post by R. Tiemann » 03 May 2003, 11:04

Dear Sergei,
let me first of all thank you for your quick response re. my forum- entry. As you probably know, e- research in countries of the former Eastern Block could be an enormous task due to lack of ressources there. Some of the regions are, plainly spoken, 'white spots' on the e- map and the few (mostly) government- led sites aren't very helpful either. Let me congratulate you on your fantastic site and thank you for the time and effort you are putting in there; you are doing an important job for many people.
On the matter of my original query: if somebody out there has got further information, please don't hesitate and get in touch with me. Thank you in advance.

Cheers, and best wishes from the German Lower-Rhine region,
Rainer Tiemann